How to explain yoga to children
Well, the word yoga means union.
When we dream, we see different people, animals, trees, buildings, cars, yoga mats and other objects. But who and what are all of these people and things in your dream? Are they really other people and other things?
No, they are all you. Your own amazing mind manifests all of these things.
It is the same here in our waking reality. We are not as far from each other as we may think.
For example, look at someone or something now. Where do you see them?
Are they inside of you or outside of you?
We are used to thinking of them as being outside of us, but if we look a bit closer we might discover that we are weaved much closer than we think. You do see them inside of you, all perception is within. We actually have no clue what is outside.
Everything we see, touch, smell, hear and feel is our own internal perception of what we are experiencing outwardly.
The more we can imbibe this feeling, the more connected we all feel to everything and everyone. We feel alive and happy!
This is the explanation for adults; the adults that are interested in hearing it. However, even for most adults it will be sufficient to just say that yoga is good for you!
This depends partly on how old they are
- In yoga, there is a pose for everything in the world, whether it is an animal, a tree, or an airplane, and we can do it with our body.
- Thousands of years ago, the ancient yogis lived in the forest, the mountains, and the caves of India. They observed their environment, and saw how the animals and nature moved in perfect harmony. They imitated the movements of the animals, the trees, the mountains, and even the movements of the stars, and created a wonderful technique that is called Yoga.
- Yoga is a way to exercise our bodies, our breath, and our minds all at the same time. Yoga makes us feel great!
- Yoga is a very ancient science that helps us to develop flexibility and strength in our bodies, and happiness and peace in our mind.
- Yoga is a practice and philosophy that teaches that happiness is our natural state. When the body and the mind are out of balance, we do not feel this happiness. With the help of yoga poses, breathing exercises, and focusing within, we bring back this harmony to our body and mind, and come back to this natural state of happiness.
Author: Goal Amir Yaffa
Also follow www.soyoga.com.sg